To determine if current railing and barrier designs are MASH-compliant and if not, provide recommendations for modifications backed by finite element analysis results.
NYSDOT is seeking to perform finite element modeling (FEM) and full-scale crash testing on NYSDOT bridge railing and barrier designs. The following key elements are necessary:
- Prepare detailed drawings for the test articles (railing or barrier);
- Create finite element models for the test articles and MASH vehicles required for the analysis;
- Perform finite element analysis (FEA) of test articles;
- Construct test articles for full-scale crash testing;
- Conduct full-scale crash testing using a licensed test facility in New York State; and
- Evaluate FEA and crash test results – Prepare report of findings with recommendations for any failed tests.
Kaan Ozbay is a Co-Principal Investigator on this project.
Associate Director, C2SMART
Hani Nassif is a Co-Principal Investigator on this project.
Affiliated Researcher, NYU
Frank DarConte is a Co-Principal Investigator on this project.